Vegetable Moussaka Recipes
2 oz butter
3 tbsp sunflower
2 aubergines, thinly sliced
4 potatoes, thinly sliced
3 large onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
3 large tomatoes, skinned and sliced
salt and pepper
1 tbsp chopped parsley, to garnish
2 oz butter
1.5 oz wholemeal flour
1 pint milk
8 oz cheddar cheese, grated
1 tsp mixed spice or grated nutmeg
1 tsp French mustard
- Heat half the butter and oil in a
pan, add the aubergines and potato slices and cook for 30 minutes,
turning over once or twice.
- Remove from the pan.
- Heat the rest of the butter and
oil, add the onions, garlic and tomatoes, and cook for 10 minutes
- Add half the aubergines and
potatoes, mix and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To make the sauce, melt the butter
in a saucepan, add the flour and stir over the heat for 1-2 minutes,
then gradually blend in the milk.
- Stir until a smooth sauce is
- Remove from the heat, add
approximately 6 oz of the cheese and season with salt, pepper, mixed
spice or nutmeg and mustard.
- Spoon half of the mixed vegetables
into a casserole, add half of the sauce and the remainder of the
- Top with a neat layer of
aubergines and potatoes, then the rest of the sauce.
- Cover the casserole with a lid or
foil; make sure this does not touch the sauce.
- Bake for 75 minutes in a preheated
oven, 325F, gas mark 3.
- Remove the lid, add the remaining
cheese, return to the oven, raising the heat slightly, and cook for
a further 10 minutes, or until the cheese topping has melted.
- Garnish with chopped parsley, if
Get the above cooking ingredients here
to cook Vegetarian Recipes
Subscribe to our newsletter