Mediterranean Suet Parcel Recipes
1 lb self-raising flour
1 tsp salt
6 oz vegetable suet
1/4 pint natural yogurt
7 fl oz milk
1 egg yolk, beaten, to glaze
mushroom gravy, to serve
2 aubergines, thickly sliced lengthways
2 tbsp olive oil
2 large red peppers, cored, deseeded and
4 firm ripe tomatoes, sliced
12 large basil leaves
6 oz mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- Sift the flour and salt into a
large bowl, stir in the suet and gradually work in the yogurt and
milk to form a stiff dough.
- Knead lightly until smooth, wrap
and leave to rest while preparing the filling.
- Brush the aubergine slices with a
little oil and place under a preheated hot grill for 5-6 minutes on
each side until golden and tender.
- Grill the pepper quarters, skin
side up, for 6-8 minutes until blistered and blackened.
- Put them in a polythene bag until
they are cool, then peel off the skin.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll
out the dough to a 14 inch squares.
- Arrange the aubergines, peppers
and tomatoes, basil and cheese in layers, diagonally in the centre
of the pastry, forming a 8 inch square.
- Dampen the edges of the pastry
with a little water and draw up the 4 corners, pressing
together in the middle to seal in the filling.
- Transfer the parcel to a baking
sheet, brush with the beaten egg yolk and place in a preheated oven,
400F, gas mark 6, for 30 minutes.
- Reduce the temperature to 350F,
gas mark 4, and bake for a further 15 minutes, until puffed up and
- Leave to rest for 5 minutes, then
serve the parcel hot, with mushroom gravy.
Get the above cooking ingredients here
to cook Vegetarian Recipes
Subscribe to our newsletter