Southern Bean Pot Recipe
Southern Bean Pot Recipes
675 g haricot beans
1 large onion
4 garlic cloves
450 g piece smoked bacon
1 bay leaf
sprig of thyme
sprig of parsley
450 g pork belly
225 g garlic sausage
450 g tomatoes
salt and pepper
50 g fresh breadcrumbs
- Soak the beans in cold water
- Drain well and cover with fresh
- Bring to the boil and add the
chopped onion and garlic, the piece of bacon, bay leaf, thyme and
- Cover and simmer for 1.5 hours.
- While the beans are cooking, put
the duck portions and piece of pork on a rack in a roasting tin.
- Roast at 200C (400C), gas mark 6
for 1 hour.
- Drain the beans and reserve the
- Take out the bacon and cut into
- Cut the duck portions, pork and
garlic sausage into chunks.
- Skin the tomatoes, discard pips,
and chop the flesh roughly.
- Using a deep earthenware
casserole, arrange layers of meat, beans and tomatoes, seasoning
each layer well with salt and pepper.
- Pour in some of the reserved
liquid to come halfway up the layers.
- Cover and cook at 160C (325F), Gas
mark 3 for 11/2 hours.
- Remove the lid.
- Add a little more liquid if
necessary to come up to the halfway mark.
- Sprinkle on breadcrumbs in a
- Continue baking for 11/2
- Serve with crusty bread and a
Although this is a simple version of
the traditional cassoulet, it still takes a little time to make a quite
a lot of ingredients, so it worth making in this large quantity which
will serve 8 people.
Serves 4 - 6
Get the above cooking ingredients here
to cook Vegetarian Recipes
Subscribe to our newsletter
More Peas, Beans, Pulses Recipes
101 Vegetarian Recipes All rights Reserved.
Contact Us |