Onion Tart Recipe
Onion Tart Recipes
chilled butter, chopped
Gruyère or Swiss cheese, grated
pinch of nutmeg
- Sift the flour into a large bowl
and add the chopped butter.
- Using your fingertips, rub the
butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add almost all of the water and
use a knife to mix it to a firm dough, adding more water if
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly
floured surface and gather it together into a ball.
- The pastry can also be made in a
- Wrap the pastry ball in plastic
wrap and refrigerate for about 20 minutes.
- Working quickly, press the chilled
pastry into a 26 cm (101/2 inch) fluted flan tin.
- Refrigerate the shell for 15
minutes, or until firm.
- Preheat the oven to moderate
- Place a sheet of baking paper over
the pastry and fill with dried beans or rice.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the paper and the beans or
rice, and bake the shell for a further 5 minutes, or until the
pastry is almost cooked.
- Allow the shell to cool.
- To make filling, slice the onions
- Heat the butter and oil in a large
heavy based pan.
- Add the onion rings and cook over
low heat, stirring occasionally, for 30-35 minutes, or until they
are very tender and golden.
- Sprinkle with the flour and cook,
stirring for 2-3 minutes, or until the mixture is golden.
- Remove from the heat and allow to
- Beat the eggs, cream, milk and
nutmeg together in a large bowl.
- Gradually stir in the cooled onion
and half the grated cheese.
- Spoon into the pastry base,
sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes, or
until the tart is golden and cooked through.
- Set aside for 10 minutes before
Preparation : 30 minutes
Cooking : 1 hour 15 minutes
Get the above cooking ingredients here
to cook Vegetarian Recipes
Subscribe to our newsletter
More Onions, Alliums Recipes
101 Vegetarian Recipes All rights Reserved.
Contact Us |