1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1/2 red capsicum, thinly sliced
6 thin slices pumpkin
1 zucchini, sliced lengthways
8 button mushrooms, sliced
12 spinach leaves
12 asparagus spears, cut into thirds
6 sheets filo pastry
light olive oil, to brush
1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
sesame seeds, to sprinkle
1 ripe tomato
100ml extra virgin olive oil
25 ml balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 220C (Gas 7), heat the
oil in a frying pan over medium heat and cook the onion and capsicum
for 2 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin, zucchini and mushrooms and
cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes, or until the mushroom
- Remove from the heat, add the spinach and
asparagus and toss well.
- Place a sheet of filo pastry on a
work-bench, brush with oil and sprinkle with 2 tbsp of the
- Top with another sheet of pastry and repeat
the process until you have 6 sheets of pastry.
- Preheat the baking tray in the oven for 5
minutes, strain the vegetables of any excess juice and spoon onto
the pastry 2cm from the long edge.
- Roll up the strudel, place no the hot
baking tray and tuck in the edges.
- Brush with oil and sprinkle with sesame
seeds, bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, score a cross in the base of the
tomato, then place in boiling water for 10 seconds.
- Plunge into cold water and peel away the
skin, cut in half and scoop out the seeds, dice.
- To make the vinaigrette, combine the extra
virgin olive oil, vinegar, tomato and basil in a screw-top jar,
season, then shake.
- Serve the strudel with the vinaigrette.
Get the above cooking ingredients here
to cook Vegetarian Recipes
Subscribe to our newsletter