Sweet Corn and Bean Tamale
For the topping :
pepper, seeded and chopped
chilies, seeded and chopped
tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
beans, drained and rinsed
leaves, to garnish
Cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 220oC/425oF/Gas 7.
- Remove the outer husks and silky threads from the corn cobs,
then par boil in boiling, but not salted, water for 8 minutes.
- Drain and leave until cool enough to handle, then run a sharp
knife down the corn cobs to remove the kernels.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and dry the onion, garlic and pepper
for 5 minutes, until softened.
- Add the chilies and cumin and fry for 1 minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato purée, beans, corn kernels and
- Bring to the boil, then simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the topping.
- Mix together the polenta, flour, salt, baking powder, egg, milk
and butter in a bowl to form a smooth, thick batter.
- Transfer to the corn kernels and beans to an ovenproof dish,
spoon the polenta mixture over the top and spread evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle over the cheese, then return to
the oven for a further 5 - 10 minutes, until golden.
Get the above cooking ingredients here
to cook Vegetarian Recipes
Subscribe to our newsletter