Broccoli and Ricotta Cannelloni Recipes
For the tomato sauce :
2 x 400 g
dried cannelloni tubes, 7.5 cm or 3 in long
olive oil, plus extra for brushing
Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
pine nuts, for sprinkling
salt and black pepper
pinch of grated nutmeg
onion, finely chopped
garlic clove, crushed
cans chopped tomatoes
black olives, stoned and chopped
- Preheat the oven to 190oC/375oF/Gas 5 and lightly grease an oven proof dish with olive oil.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, add a little olive oil and simmer the cannelloni, uncovered, for about 6-7 minutes, or until nearly cooked.
- Meanwhile, steam or boil the broccoli for 10 minutes, until tender.
- Drain the pasta, rinse under cold water and reserve.
- Drain the broccoli and leave to cool, then place in food processor or blender, whizz until smooth and set aside.
- Place the breadcrumbs in a bowl, add the milk and oil and stir until softened.
- Add the ricotta, broccoli puree, nutmeg, 60ml or 4 tbsp of the Parmesan cheese and seasoning, then set aside.
- To make the sauce, heat the oil in a frying pan and add the onions and garlic.
- Fry for 5-6 minutes, until softened, then stir in the tomatoes, tomato purée, black olives, thyme and seasoning.
- Boil rapidly for 2 - 3 minutes, then pour into the base of the dish.
- Spoon the cheese mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 1 cm or 1/2 in nozzle.
- Carefully open the cannelloni tubes.
- Standing each one upright on a board, pipe the filling into each tube.
- Lay them in rows in the tomato sauce.
- Brush the tops of the cannelloni with a little olive oil and sprinkle over the remaining Parmesan cheese and pine nuts.
- Bake in the oven for about 25 - 30 minutes, until golden on top.
Get the above cooking ingredients here
to cook Vegetarian Recipes
Subscribe to our newsletter