900 g rye flour
2 tsp salt
600 ml hand hot water
4 tbsp black treacle
- If possible use two 450 g food
cans with one end removed, which have been thoroughly washed and
dried (fruit or bean cans are excellent).
- If these are not available, use
450 g pudding basins.
- Grease the containers well.
- Mix the flour and salt.
- Add the water and black treacle
and mix well.
- Add a little extra water if
necessary to make a soft dough.
- Divide the mixture between the
containers, filling them three quarters full.
- Cover with a piece of greaseproof
paper and then foil, putting a pleat in the top to allow for
- Put the containers in a saucepan
and add boiling water to come half way up the sides.
- Cover and simmer for 5 hours,
adding more water if necessary so that the pan does not boil dry.
- Turn out bread and cool on a wire
- Leave until cold and then wrap in
greaseproof paper and foil and store in the refrigerator.
A dark close textured loaf which is
best sliced very thinly. It is excellent with cheese, oil fish or salted
Get the above cooking ingredients here
to cook Vegetarian Recipes
Subscribe to our newsletter
More Grain Recipes
101 Vegetarian Recipes All rights Reserved.
Contact Us |