225 g whole wheat
900 ml water
pinch of salt
25 g soft brown sugar, honey or black
1 tsp ground allspice
75 g currants or seedless raisins
- Wash the wheat well and put into a
casserole with the water.
- Bring to the boil, cover and cook
at 140C/275F/Gas 1 for 4-5 hours until the wheat grains have burst
and the mixture is like a thick jelly.
- This is the prepared frumenty
which may be eaten plain with sweetening, milk or cream.
- Season lightly with salt before
- To make the dish more attractive,
flavor the frumenty with sugar, honey or black treacle, spice and
- A little grated lemon rind or a
spoonful of brandy may be added.
- Serve with cream.
A very old dish which is similar to
porridge, but which was eaten on festival occasions with spices, cream
and dried fruit, or even with a spoonful of brandy.
Get the above cooking ingredients here
to cook Vegetarian Recipes
Subscribe to our newsletter
More Grain Recipes
101 Vegetarian Recipes All rights Reserved.
Contact Us |