350 g buckwheat flour
600 ml milk
20 g fresh yeast or 2 tsp fried yeast
100 g softened butter
1/2 tsp salt
- Put 75 g buckwheat flour into warm bowl.
- Heat 150 milk until lukewarm and stir in the yeast.
- Add to the flour, cover and leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Separate the eggs.
- Cream the yolks with the butter and salt.
- Add the yeast mixture and remaining flour and beat well until smooth.
- Cover and leave to stand in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Whisk egg whites to stiff peaks and fold into the batter.
- Heat a griddle or thick frying pan and grease very lightly.
- Pour on batter to make pancakes about 3" diameter.
- Cook until the surface is lightly set and covered with bubbles.
- Turn and cook until golden on both sides.
- Serve with caviar and soured cream, or yoghurt, or any smoked or salted fish.
These Russian pancakes are traditionally made with buckwheat flour, although a drier version may be made with half buckwheat and half wheat flour.
Get the above cooking ingredients here
to cook Vegetarian Recipes
Subscribe to our newsletter
More Grain Recipes
101 Vegetarian Recipes All rights Reserved.
Contact Us |