Greek Spinach and Cheese Pies Recipe
Greek Spinach and Cheese Pies Cooking Recipes
onion, finely chopped
spinach, stalks removed
filo pastry (about 45 x 25 cm or 18 x 10 in)
pinch of grated nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 190oC/375oF/Gas 5.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion and fry gently for 5 - 6
minutes, until softened.
- Add the spinach leaves and cook, stirring, until the spinach has
wilted and some of the liquid evaporated.
- Leave to cool.
- Brush four 10 cm or 4 in diameter loose based tartlet tins with
a little melted butter.
- Take two sheets of the filo pastry and cut each into eight 11 cm
or 41/2 in squares.
- Keep the remaining sheets covered.
- Brush four squares at a time with melted butter.
- Line the first tartlet tin with one square, gently easing it
into the base and up the sides.
- Leave the edges overhanging.
- Lay the remaining three buttered squares on top of the first,
turning them so the corners form a star shape.
- Repeat for the remaining tartlet tins.
- Beat the egg with the nutmeg and seasoning, then stir in the
cheeses and spinach.
- Divide the mixture between the tins and level smooth.
- Fold the over hanging pastry back over the filling.
- Cut one of the remaining sheets of pastry into eight 10 cm or 4
- Brush with butter and place two on top of each tartlet.
- Press around the edges to seal.
- Brush the remaining sheet of pastry with butter and cut into
- Gently twist each strip and lay on top of the tartlets.
- Leave to stand for 5 minutes, then bake for about 30 - 35
minutes, until golden.
- Serve hot or cold.
Get the above cooking ingredients here
to cook Vegetarian Recipes
Subscribe to our newsletter
More Dinner, Party Dishes Vegetable Recipes
101 Vegetarian Recipes All rights Reserved.
Contact Us |